Trialto My cart (0)
Back to catalogue

Syrah 2012

$30.39** Suggested retail price

Product codeProduct code 475285
FormatFormat 12x750ml
Listing typeListing type Speculative
StatusStatus Unavailable
CountryCountry Canada
Regulated designationRegulated designation Vintners quality alliance (VQA)
RegionRegion British Columbia
SubregionSubregion Okanagan Valley, Naramata
Varietal(s)Varietal(s) Syrah 96 %
Viognier 4 %
Alcohol percentageAlcohol percentage 13.4%
ColorColor Red
SugarSugar Dry
Closure typeClosure type Cork
Aging vessel typeAging vessel type French Oak
Length of agingLength of aging 24 months
Total acidityTotal acidity 7.1 g/l
PHPH 3.6
Winery's websiteWinery's website Click here
  • About this winery

    Poplar Grove Winery is a boutique winery located on the Naramata Bench in the British Columbia's Okanagan Valley. Our vineyard and winery is known for producing some of the finest, collectable wines in Western Canada.

    See the POPLAR GROVE detail page for more information on this brand

  • Tasting notes

    Deep ruby in colour. Aromas of cherry jam and nutmeg intertwined with a cranberry and dark chocolate essence. This rst sip brings dark cherry with white pepper and blackberry with a hint of cinnamon. Soft, integrated tannins build on the Syrah’s classic meatiness and allows the wine to be a full-bodied, sultry expression of Okanagan Syrah.

  • Viticultural notes

    In 2012, the Winter months of January and February were normal aside for a brief cold snap where, for a few days, temperatures dipped to – 17 °C. The Spring months of March and April saw the season off to a slow start being two and a half weeks behind normal vineyard progress records. Prolonged coolness and low precipitation levels slowed bud break and bud development. May, June and early July had higher than average rainfall, with double precipitation levels in June, up to 80 mm, from norms of 35 mm. Summer was beautiful, mild and long. Temperatures hovered around 30°C and dry arid days created ideal conditions for vine and fruit growth. Late Summer and fall months were long, warm and dry, bringing 6 weeks without rain. As a result, there was enhanced fruit ripening and phenolic development. Overall, 2012 was a fantastic growing season in our vineyards.

  • Winemaking notes

    The Syrah grapes were hand picked and sorted in each of the two South Osoyoos Syrah vineyards. After destemming, the berries were hand sorted again to ensure that only perfect fruit was included in the ferment. The grapes were crushed and combined with a small amount of Viognier (4%) to follow the traditional Rhone method of co-fermentation. The must was cold soaked for four days allowing partial wild yeast fermentation to occur before the wine was inoculated with cultured yeasts. During fermentation, we pumped over twice per day to ensure even fermentation and gentle tannin extraction. Malolactic fermentation occured in barrel over the winter and nished in late December. 30% of the 2012 Syrah was kept in new French oak barrels, while the remaining 70% was kept in one and two year old French oak barrels for 18 months. This wine was further developed in bottle for 18 months in the cellar prior to release.

Product reviews


    - 90 Points -

    - GOLD Medal -

    Wine Align / Chacun Son Vin

    Aggregate final score from judges at the 2015 National Wine Awards of Canada. 
     [+] Detailed press review

    June 2015